Favorite quote in a book?

Go down

Favorite quote in a book? Empty Favorite quote in a book?

Post by Caramia Fri 22 Jul - 19:07

Let's share our favorite moments in a book! It can be a simple quote that you find very powerful, or a small scene you really like. I know in my case one of the most powerful moments in a book ever is probably Gavroche's death in Les Misérables. I read it when I was young and it still stuck with me to this day!

Victor Hugo wrote:It was a charming and terrible sight. Gavroche, though shot at, was teasing the fusillade. He had the air of being greatly diverted. It was the sparrow pecking at the sportsmen. To each discharge he retorted with a couplet. They aimed at him constantly, and always missed him. The National Guardsmen and the soldiers laughed as they took aim at him. He lay down, sprang to his feet, hid in the corner of a doorway, then made a bound, disappeared, re-appeared, scampered away, returned, replied to the grape-shot with his thumb at his nose, and, all the while, went on pillaging the cartouches, emptying the cartridge-boxes, and filling his basket. The insurgents, panting with anxiety, followed him with their eyes. The barricade trembled; he sang. He was not a child, he was not a man; he was a strange gamin-fairy. He might have been called the invulnerable dwarf of the fray. The bullets flew after him, he was more nimble than they. He played a fearful game of hide and seek with death; every time that the flat-nosed face of the spectre approached, the urchin administered to it a fillip.
One bullet, however, better aimed or more treacherous than the rest, finally struck the will-o'-the-wisp of a child. Gavroche was seen to stagger, then he sank to the earth. The whole barricade gave vent to a cry; but there was something of Antaeus in that pygmy; for the gamin to touch the pavement is the same as for the giant to touch the earth; Gavroche had fallen only to rise again; he remained in a sitting posture, a long thread of blood streaked his face, he raised both arms in the air, glanced in the direction whence the shot had come, and began to sing:

"Je suis tombe par terre, 
C'est la faute a Voltaire;
Le nez dans le ruisseau, 
C'est la faute a . . . " 

He did not finish. A second bullet from the same marksman stopped him short. This time he fell face downward on the pavement, and moved no more. This grand little soul had taken its flight.
Caramia
Caramia

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Forum Roleplay  photo htf-affilliate-1.pngDistant Fantasies